First Post

So, here we go, again. Let's just call this a, 'Turning 40 this year, & Feeling like I haven't used all of my God-given talents, and/or living up to my potential. I am a Part-Time Receptionist at a place in a nearby suburb, and hold a Master's Degree in Marriage & Family Therapy.

Why the disparity? Well, to a certain degree, it is because I have succumb to a chronic illness called Epilepsy. I do not feel it defines me; I prefer to see myself as a 'person with Epilepsy' versus an 'Epileptic.' That said, earlier this decade, I had a slew of seizures that took me out of work for awhile (Thank goodness for a volunteer job I could do from home, for something to add to my Resume and to discuss during interviews), but it was a journey...doctor's appointments, and med changes, and the body's reaction to those med changes...not being able to drive. I am grateful for my husband, Paul's, loving care & support, and for being under such wonderful medical care. I trust my Neurologist; he is very smart doctor, who I feel, knows what he's doing.

Since, then...actually tomorrow...marks eight years of being seizure-free. While I am proud of that accomplishment, I am keenly aware that things could change at any moment. The slew of seizures I had earlier this decade...I can tell it changed my brain. My brain doesn't operate the way it did back when I was in college and Graduate School. I twitch, get easily stressed, and get tired real often (not that our cats mind; they often 'help' me with my naps)...But, so I am where I am.

I do feel I am using some of my God-given gifts as a Receptionist. I am a very social and kind person, who enjoys helping others. I have often been complimented on my smile, and greeting guests allows me to so.

But I also enjoy writing, and feel I was always very talented in that area. So, why, you ask, did I go into Psychology versus English or Communication?...For personal reasons, for which are apart of me, emotional health and wellness issues are of importance to me, as well. As a person with a disability, I endured endless bullying by peers, which led to a bout with Bulimia and Depression (because I blamed myself for that) which led me to feel the need to learn more about mental illness and other mental health conditions. I also wanted to learn about what makes people tick. Additionally, at that point...and I still feel it to be the case, today...anyone can write a book. And, in this case in point, there a different venues of which to write and to create...to express oneself and to tell a story.

And I must admit and be honest...this is not my first blog. Years ago, I had one, that ended up being a total disaster. I was too open, at times, and too negative at other times. It lacked focus. I deleted it. There were some good points that came out of it, though, and I plan to continue them here, such as 'Gratitude Gal' and 'Sports Gal.' I also plan to add some of other 'Gal' labels, such as 'Spiritual Gal,' and 'Independent Gal.' (As a Pro-life Democrat, I don't really fit into one box).

I plan to keep the ultra-personal stuff to my private journal, folks. Technology has its place, but the old fashioned way of doing things still has its place, too. One's ultra-personal thoughts and frustrations still needs an outlet...they still need to be voiced...but this is not the place for that. Technology is only so good; not the end-all, be-all.   

  

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Wall

Today's Gratefuls